How to make a diaper cake
Diaper cakes are the perfect element to add to baby shower decor or to give as a gift to the mom-to-be. Rather than wrapping up a box of diapers create this easy DIY project. We love decorating events with items that can be used again after the event and with this, all diapers remain intact and useable once the baby comes. Below I will show you how to make a diaper cake for a shower you are hosting or as a gift. If you don’t want to make this yourself I can make one for you – just contact me with your theme colours.
You will need:
- 1x paper towel roll
- 1x giant box of diapers (varies depending on your “cake” size but we used about 100) I’d recommend using size 2 diapers as some babies grow out of size 1 so quickly that they might not need 100 of them
- Elastic bands
- Glue gun
- Thick ribbon
- Fake flowers of your choosing
1. Start by using a paper towel roll as the centre
2. Roll each diaper and fasten with an elastic band and place them in circles around the paper towel roll. Once you have an entire circle, secure it with a large elastic. For the bottom tier we had 3 circles of diapers, 2 circles for the 2nd tier and 1 on the top tier.
3. Once you have built your structure, you will need to pretty it up by covering up the elastics. We used a burlap ribbon with a thinner pink and white polka dot ribbon over top. Secure the ribbon tightly at the back with hot glue (be sure to only glue the ribbon to itself as to not ruin any of the diapers)
4. Stick a few fake flowers into the paper towel roll as your cake topper and voila!
I help families and friends celebrate milestones in a more eco-friendly way. Join my weekly newsletter for eco-friendly lifestyle tips & celebration ideas below. I also make custom diaper cakes for baby showers and have a few baby shower decor items for rent here.